magic sizing.

23 January 2009

i am making the lucky stars quilt by atkinson designs.
{it's for my momma.}

this is the first block.
isn't it beautiful???
and ALL my points are perfect.
{hi-5ing myself!!!}

well the next step is to spray this with magic sizing then trim down the block.
okay so before this pattern i had never even heard of magic sizing!!!
{i know i know, but i'm only 26!!!}

well being the rachel that i am...i googled it.
{note to self: i think i pay all of google's employee's salaries...i google THAT much.}
so i learned that magic sizing is a light weight spray starch.
{go me.}

so my question{s} to yall veteran quilter's is this:
where do i buy it??? joanns??? walmart???
and what's the difference in using this as opposed to a regular spray starch???

any & all input would be awesome!!!
thanks yall.

p.s. my bff mandie told me she wants to learn how to quilt!!!
and we got her signed up for a beginners class!!!
so tonight we are going to joann's to get her some basics and class supplies.
exciting i know!!!

Pin It!

11 comments:

Rachel T. said...

You can get it anywhere you buy regular spray starch, I think I got mine at Wal-Mart. Usually in the laundry aisle. ~Rachel

Moneik said...

I got mine at Wal-mart in the laundry department. Mary Ellen's Best Press (any scent) works really well too.

Pat said...

Yup...Walmart or most any supermarket, too. NICE block for your momma's quilt!

Kritta22 said...

how come you use this?? I'm such a newbie!

Kritta22 said...

Hi-5 to Mandie! Welcome to the cool club! Now we can sew and talk Friends!!

Anonymous said...

Wal-Mart or Target in the laundry aisle, in a blue can, usually right next to the shout and regular starch.....I prefer it to regular starch because it's not as heavy (your blocks won't get stiff) and it doesn't attract the dust like regular starch does....and it still gets your fabric really flat when needing to trim down your lucky stars...p.s. I am a Terry Atkinson groupie, and her lucky stars are used again in her Monterrey Medallions quilt...enjoy.

Lori said...

Magic sizing is in the laundry soap aisle at WalMart next to the spray and wash stuff. This doesn't get as stiff as regular starch and won't gunk up your iron like the regular stuff does. I also had someone tell me once that regular starch has some kind of food product in it and would attract bugs to it. Don't know if that part is true though.

Shelly said...

I used to use Magic Sizing all the time because my hubby hated the heavy stiff feel of starch but liked the LOOK of it being starched. Its also good for spraying on machine embroidery after its finished to get hooping marks out of fabrics. LOVE LOVE LOVE the block for Mom's quilt. Classes for quilting? Heck, I just started with the calendar quilt and the YCMT quilt and have gone from there this year! I"ve never quilted before! You mean I'm supposed to be taking classes?
~Shelly~

Cheryl said...

I use to always use the magic spray sizing, but now I am a BIG fan of Mary Ellen's Best Press. It comes in different scents (or no scent) and doesn't leave any residue on your iron. Great job on you star block!!!

a good yarn said...

I do like that colour combination and the pattern is stunnng. Can't help you with the starch issue I'm afraid but the other comments make interesting reading.

Happy Stitching...Ann :)

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Haven't heard of magic sizing - is this the more inexpensive version of Mary Ellen's Best Press? After falling in love with the stuff some ladies told me you can get a version of it at Walmart. I'm on a budget!

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...