a new venture.

19 March 2013

so, lookie what i made. it's a massive 24 1/2" block. i think i have a brilliant plan for it. more to come. :) #xplusalong
chances are, if you are on instagram, you've noticed a few quilt alongs lately.
yes, another place to get roped into unplanned projects. ;)
(i'm @rachelgriffith if you're on there.)

enter the #xplusalong.
i thought the x and + block was pretty cool, but i didn't feel the need to join the others.
that was until holly starting making her blocks.
her blocks just spoke to me.
(see holly's completed x and + quilt HERE.)

y'all know me, i heart a good quilt along, but there's only so many hours in the day.
and in an effort to make sure i don't add 50 more WIPs, i like to make smaller commitments.
i had to learn this lesson the hard way. trust me.

so, here's what i did.
i made one big block.
it's 24 1/2" x 24 1/2"
and just like that, my need to have my own x and + quilt is satisfied.
yayyy.

i'm planning to make a great, big pillow out of it.
fun, right?

i want to hand quilt it. (i blame you, camille.)
and i want to use perle cotton.
but i've never hand quilted a thing.
like ever.

so, here's where y'all come in.
i'm not sure what weight to buy. (is 8 just right?)
i'm not even sure how to get started. (any pointers?)
and lastly, what color should i use? (light grey? pink? yellow?)
i'm hoping y'all can help me out.
please and thank you.

xo, rachel

Pin It!

12 comments:

mascanlon said...

Anna Maria does wonderful hand quilting with perle cotton. I found the tutorial on her blog for you, http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/stitch.html
Looking forward to seeing how you finish this block!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Yes, eight; yellow in the gray and gray in the yellow. Maybe.

Rachael said...

ooh its pretty :)
im about to start hand quilting as well for the first time, eek, and ive just been constantly watching this video over and over, its really good

http://thelastpiece.typepad.com/the_last_piece/2013/01/yes-i-hand-quilt.html

hope this helps :)

rachael

Lisa said...

Hand quilting is something I love. I would use hot pink so that your quilting really stands out!

Lindsey said...

Holly's xplus quilt is the most awesome. I tried a few blocks, but I want mine to look like hers!!!

Cathy said...

Perle cotton is great. I would use #12. It is a little thinner and glides through the fabric. Hugs

Alice in WV said...

Oh, Rachel, no. You did NOT just do this to me... (Until now I didn't need to make these blocks. Now it's all I can think about.)

Patricia Lessell said...

I have so fallen in love with these blocks I just can't tell you and I'm going to be having a Bee for them soon. Have you made a tutorial about how to make it this big please? Suppose I should have looked on your site first before asking this dumb question. I would love to make one this size for my empty walls.

Elise Lea said...

Such a great idea to turn it into a giant block and make a pillow. I'm sure it will look lovely!

thepiececorps said...

I am obsessed with this block! B-)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Yay for trying new things! Also, I respect your one-block cleverness =). If you should desire, I have a hand quilting tut for pearl size 8 here: http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/07/loulouthi-tiles-hand-quilting-tutorial.html

Unknown said...

I just started hand quilting stuff a while back. I don't think I followed any instructions, so things are fuuuunky around here, but that's why I'm hand quilting, am I right? To add a little funk! Hope yours goes well, that block is wonderful!

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...