on the fly.

08 January 2013

on the fly.
in addition to putting my word of the year into action, i've been pondering another desire of mine.

i want to get back to making things because i want to.
don't get me wrong, at the end of the day, i want to make everything that i make.
what i mean to say, is that i want to make things that don't necessarily need to be made.
things without deadlines, things without contracts and things that are just because.

i've planned what i hope to be an amazing quilt.
y'all remember the postage stamp quilt along, right? (all directions can be found HERE.)
well, i'm taking that quilt to the next level. (hopefully.)

instead of using a jelly roll that is all one color, i'm planning to use a jelly roll that has an ombre feel to it.
look at all those delicious greys. mmmm.

and instead of using a jelly roll that is just one particular line, i'm planning to use fabrics from my stash.
some of those fabrics are my absolute favorites in the whole wide world.

this quilt isn't for a pattern.
it isn't for a book or magazine.
and it isn't even for me. (although i'm planning to make myself one just like it. maybe.)

so, here's to doing more quilty things on the fly.

rachel

Pin It!

22 comments:

Lex said...

Can't wait to see the finished result! The postage stamp quilt is on my forever growing "to do" quilt list

Heather D. said...

The fabric stack is gorgeous, I'm sure the quilt will be too. I'm also looking forward this year to just doing what i want to do, not what I feel like I have to do. I'm not even making sewing "resolutions" because I don't want the pressure.

mascanlon said...

The postage stamp quilt is one of my favorites, I do need to get it quilted..lol. So I am anxious to see how this one will turn out with all those luscious grays! Have a great day Rachel!

kelli said...

I'd follow a QAL with this...

What is the ombre grey jelly roll?

kelli{dot}sanders{at}comcast{dot}net

Valerie said...

I am totally trying to do the same thing this year ~ making things "just because" instead of having a deadline! Your fabric choices look amazing!

Pamela said...

Quilting on the fly is the best kind of quilting!

Anna said...

So wonderful to make one because you WANT to...seems like we all start quilting for the fun of it and then obligations and all sorts of other reasons for making creep in. I feel inspired by your post and I hope to make something for the same reasons.

Suburban Stitcher said...

agree on all accounts.

Catherine said...

We need to have a quilt along -- that way we can be accountable to fun!!! Okay, that just sounds wrong, but fun!!!

Susana Neiger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susana Neiger said...

I had a similar thought the other day - it seemed like it was time for making some things "just because" ... Here's to productivity, as always, but also: here's to a little spontaneity, and a little extra enjoyment of the things we love to do.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your quilt. No deadlines no contracts it will be fun. Also enjoy that little family of yours they are not little for long.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your quilt. No deadlines no contracts it will be fun. Also enjoy that little family of yours they are not little for long.

Tiara said...

Yay! Missed it the first time around so excited for this time

Sam said...

Here here, I enjoy making things just because i want to. although i am happy to make things that have been commissioned its just not so much fun is it? Looking forward to seeing your quilt. :)

Belle and Buttercup said...

I love your attitude! You are definitely holding true to your theme word for the year. And oh my....that is going to be a stunning quilt!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

I'm drooling already!

Dairygal said...

I hope you can do it! I am 'nesting' through my fabric stash! Projects I have put on hold too long. With 2months till baby is due I am trying to get as many tops done as possible.

Thimbleanna said...

That stack looks yummy -- can't wait to see what it becomes!

Anonymous said...

I just read the blog.

I am sitting here designing a beginning quilt class on EQ7. Deadline is next week.

I feel the need to just make a quilt for fun.

Anna said...

Not working to a deadline is liberating! Your creative juices can just flow and you can centre youself once more... enjoy! Can't wait to see the results!

Unknown said...

Awesome thoughts on not just making things to make things. I totally understand!

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...