mawmaw's poke cake.

18 December 2009

mawmaw's poke cake.

my mawmaw is the world's best cake maker.
that woman can make any cake better ... even a fruit cake!!!

mawmaw's poke cake recipe:
1 box white cake mix
1 cup boiling water
1 package jello
1 tub cool whip

mix and bake cake according to directions on cake mix box.
let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.

poke cake with fork.
mix water and jello.
pour jello mixture over your cake.

refrigerate for 30 minutes.
then add cool whip on top.

tada.
your very own jello poke cake.

my favorite ...
mix 1/2 a package of black cherry jello with 1/2 package raspberry jello.

there are several variations to this recipe ...

there's a pudding poke cake:
instead of jello & water, use chocolate pudding & milk.
{cool whip optional.}

then there's a creamsicle poke cake:
instead of jello & water, use 1 cup crush orange coke.
{has to have cool whip ... yum.}

of course there are countless jello mixtures y'all can play with.
yum. yum. yum.

hope y'all enjoy.

xo, rachel

Pin It!

17 comments:

Callipygian said...

"1 cup crush orange coke, what is that? Does Coke have an orange flavor now??" I said to myself. Then realized, oh wow I've heard people say that "in the South" they call everything Coke instead of pop or soda and maybe I just heard it in actual use for the first time!

rachel griffith said...

hahaha.
yep.
georgia girl here...everything is coke.
:)

orange coke.
orange pop.
orange soda.
whatever you want to call it.

Rachel said...

Oldest trick in the book... and, you know, I've never tried this. I like the sound of the chocolate pudding version - yummy!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes everything is a coke in the south(lived here for 30 years) and in WI were I grew up it was pop or soda.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Janelle said...

We try to make a birthday cake on Christmas to celebrate Jesus' birthday - and this would be a fun variation this year and easy too! Thanks Rachel for a great reminder of a fun cake! May have to try the soda version - how do you think Cherry Dr Pepper would be? May have to try it! (my hubby works for Dr P :))

Tammy said...

That is my favorite cake! My mom used to make it when we were little...totally refreshing!

The French Bear said...

This sounds yummy!!! Thanks,
Margaret B

Audrie said...

I have to make the creamsicle version for my MIL! I'll need to wait though... she's requested devil's food cake for Christmas dinner hehe

Barb said...

Yummy.....thanks!!

Twisted Quilts said...

Years ago, I mean years there was an orange drink called Orange Crush that came in brown bottles. It was really good on a hot day. I have always wanted to make one of these cakes. It would make a great birthday cake. Thanks

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I love these cakes! They are so good. And all soda is Coke to a southern girl.♥

NewFarmChick said...

Mawmaw is rockin my face off!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I have to make one of these every Christmas or Hubby and the kids get very upset. They like it with the sour Jello flavors they have out now.

Tiffany said...

I love poke cake!! In the summertime we make it with vanilla cake mix and lime jello. Tastes a smidge like Key Lime Pie.

Sauders Fabric said...

Always make this in the summer and top with strawberries and blueberries in a flag design.
Yummy!!

Magoo said...

Hey gurl! that looks AMAZING....i'll have to give that recipe a shot. i had a mawmaw too, you don't hear too many mawmaws.

i love ur blog! i have a link to you on mine...
http://limeandlace.blogspot.com/

spreading the creative word!

Have a very merry Christmas!! :)

ChrissyLynn said...

Finally tried this...and have made it 3 times in two weeks...it is awesome!! The first time I used raspberry jello and added fresh raspberries on top...that is my favorite so far...Made with orange Crush next, then orange Jello...The orange Jello is better than Crush in my opinion...This is an amazing cake...and oh...so easy!!! Thanks for sharing!!

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...