weeknight chicken pot pie.

08 November 2012

weeknight chicken pot pie
i love me some chicken pot pie.
like realllllly love it.
but let's face it, chicken pot pie takes some effort.
and sometimes that's just too much effort to try to muster on a weeknight.

*enter weeknight chicken pot pie*
it's the perfect blend of a home cooked meal and the "i need to hurry up and feed these people" meal.
true story.

what y'all will need:
2-3 lbs. chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 (12 oz) packages your favorite frozen mixed vegetables, thawed*
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter, melted

*as unamerican as it sounds, i don't like peas in my chicken pot pie.
my frozen veggies = broccoli, califlower & carrots made by birds eye.

arrange chicken in the bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" pan; set aside.
mix veggies with soups and broth; pour over chicken.
combine biscuit mix, milk and butter; spread over veggie mixture.
bake at 375' for one hour.
let sit for 10 minutes.
serve.

i can't be held accountable if y'all become addicted to the biscuit topping.
yes, it's THAT yummy.
;)

hope y'all enjoy.

rachel

Pin It!

18 comments:

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Holy cow Rachel! I just might have to try this tonight!! Jenn

Anonymous said...

HI! THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD-I'M GOING TO FIX IT SOON! THANKS!

msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

Books_Bound said...

I hate shredding chicken. Hate. It. But then one of my friends told me that after it is cooked, you can just dump the breasts or thighs or whatever in your stand mixer and turn it on for like 30 seconds. Done.

It is the best kitchen trick I have ever learned.

Emily said...

Yum. I'm not a huge fan of peas either.

trish said...

Oh sweet mercy Rachel! This looks and sounds soo yummy. Especially on these cool evenings. :o) Jotting the recipe down. :o) Thanks for sharing!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

one of our favorite 'leftover chicken' meals to make after having a whole chicken the night before, only I use ready made pie crust instead of the bisquick! It's even easier...no mixing! Love these quick and yummy meals!

MGM

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Your pot pie looks delicious and I love the ease of the recipe!! I will be trying your recipe!!

Baker_ia said...

Sure looks good did you drop the bisquick mix on to the top of the filling or did you roll it out then put over the top. I think I would love to try this one either way.

CathyK said...

Sounds yummy! I can't wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!

Lexilooo said...

haha, I make chicken pot pie allllll the time, we love it so much in my house!

Cascade Quilts said...

I love this idea - I am going to make this tonight only I am going to get a pre-roasted chicken and go from there :) Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

YUM-o that looks really good. I haven't had chicken pot pie in forever, and I don't even know if I've ever had one that wasn't previously frozen. I'll have to try and make this.

Megan said...

mmmmm :)

CitricSugar said...

I shall have to try your topping version - it sounds crispy!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

OMG Rachel! Tried this last night and it was FABULOUS! My picky eater kids gobbled it up and asked for 2nds! Props! Keep those good comfort food recipes coming! Jenn

smilingwoman said...

Well, I can only say THANK YOU for making this look so easy. I used what I had on hand and made a batch of chicken pot pies in pie plates and individual baking cups. Wound up using food processor pastry as I had no baking mix, but it turned out fantastic anyway! I'd forgotten how much I love chicken pot pie... THANK YOU for reminding me!

Polly said...

My family tried this and LOVED it! That topping will be used in other meals thats for dang sure. So yummy! Question, if we double batch the topping...will it bake up as nice as a single batch? I'm scared to try a double batch of topping for baking purposes but its SOOOOOOOO yummy!

Unknown said...

hmmmm, looks good. But I'm not sure we get that biscuit pastry in Australia ... must look for it.

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...